Gorey & North Wexford Website.
Coolgreany, Cul Greine - the sunny corner, nestles in the shadow of Croghan Mountain, overlooking Tara Hill in the extreme north of County Wexford. Coolgreany has a very wide main street with pretty little houses on each side, and is a rare example of a village with no church of either denomination in it. Back in 1569, in the earliest reference to the area where the village now stands, it was called Cowlensmottane, Cuil na Smutam - corner of the tree stumps.
The plantations of North Wexford began in 1610 and the village of Coolgreany was planned and built to serve the new settlers.
In 1659, there were nine inhabitants, all English, by 1850 the population was overwhelmingly Irish. The original settlement consisted of houses on one side of the street only, facing east. Cromwell passed through Coolgreany on September 29th, 1649 while en route to Wexford. The area had an Augustinian Friary which had 'Abbey Lands' in Coolgreany, and several chalybeate springs. The village became internationally known as a result of the evictions of 1887.
Today, Coolgreany is best known for its success in handball, which has been played in the village for over a hundred years. The current handball alley is being modernised and the village is well worth a visit.